Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My daughter has been abusive to her brother and u for the

Customer Question

My daughter has been abusive to her brother and u for the past 3 weeks her father and I are no longer together and have noticed a huge change in her behavior when she comes back from her fathers and she will not talk to me either. Other than her father yells at her all the time. She doesn't like when I pay any attention to her younger brother. She throws tantrums for long periods of times. I am very concerned. She says no one loves her. Please help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that your daughter is having these issues, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. Have you asked her father how she behaves when she is with him? Does she behave this way in any other situation (e.g. school)? Because this is not a treatment website, have you considered taking your daughter to see a Child Psychologist for treatment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her father seems to think everything is fine at his house... I have discussed theses issues with him and suggested counseling which he refused many times I am truly concerned for my daughter and am thinking he may have something to hide with his refusals . I'm not sure what my next step should be ...
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that her father is hiding something or may be in denial about her issues and is fearful of "labeling" your daughter with a mental health disorder. Her behavior can be indicative of trauma, a mood disorder, or possible Oppositional Defiant Disorder. If her father does yell at her frequently than this could lead to trauma because constant yelling is considered verbal/emotional abuse. Even if her father refuses counseling for your daughter you can still take her as it only requires one parent to consent to psychological treatment of a child. Now if this is a matter of custody where the agreement is that you both have to agree to treatment than I would recommend contacting a family law attorney to compel her father to agree to counseling or to bring the matter up with a judge...guaranteed that a judge will side with you as there is no harm in psychological treatment. But ultimately this matter does require serious intervention for your daughter and possibly a good parenting plan, more towards her father, to help change her environment for the better.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps to provide you some guidance on this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.