Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I'm suffering a lot with an anxiety at the moment, trouble

Customer Question
Hi Ryan. I'm suffering a lot...
Hi Ryan.
I'm suffering a lot with an anxiety at the moment, trouble sleeping, constantly worried and it is affecting my work. I worry about everything. As soon as I feel like I'm over one worry my brain introduces something else, like I'm in a constant state.
I am planning on rejoining the army and I am stressing about whether they'll take me.
I can't seem to go a week without something happening that adds to my stress. I messed up at work pretty badly last year and have been put on a review and I'm hoping I have done enough to complete it. I'm sure I have enough evidence to pass it but it is a case of getting it all documented properly.
I have now been given a rather large project related to the review to complete by the end of the week and it seems impossible.
I understand work is a case of really putting in the hours but I'm holding out for this new job, and I think I'm pinning all my happiness on getting that.
Sorry if that's rambling but I'm trying to get it o
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
2/15/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. The expert you originally requested is no longer active on this website, so I will be helping you today. May I ask, are you currently undergoing any treatment for your anxiety? Also you did not pose a question in your description, so what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not currently undergoing treatment. I am looking to combat the constant state of anxiety I find myself in daily, hence looking at the site. I feel like I can't relax at all, and when I think I've gotten over something my brain focuses on some other worry for me to stress over. What is the best method to stop this happening?

Well this is primarily a Q&A website, so I cannot treat you necessarily. To help lessen your anxiety there are the use of relaxation techniques that can helpful. Progressive Muscle Relaxation and the Deep Breathing are the two most effective relaxation techniques used.

http://www.anxietybc.com/sites/default/files/MuscleRelaxation.pdf

http://psychology.tools/relaxed-breathing.html

In addition, you can also start to take natural supplements of either Valerian Root, Picamilon, Passion Flower, or KAVA as these have good anti-anxiety properties.

Now if your anxiety is more in the moderate to severe range than I would recommend that you start to undergo therapy with a Psychologist that specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective, then your symptoms will lessen as well. Here are a few sample CBT techniques to give you an idea of how it works.

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

http://psychology.tools/cbt-thought-record.html

In addition, these two worksheets are very good at helping to lessen negative type thinking. It can help you focus on the big picture and the objective/positive thoughts and outcomes.

http://psychology.tools/decatastrophising.html

http://psychology.tools/what-if.html

Also since therapy is more of a gradual process and is only effective after a few months, you may benefit from talking to your doctor about the use of psychotropic medications like a SSRI Antidepressant and/or a benzodiazepine. Both are very effective in treating anxiety and can lessen your symptoms of anxiety within a few weeks or even in a couple hours with the benzodiazepine.

This would be the best approach for treating and lessening your anxiety issues. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.

Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist