How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a wife searching for answers. My husband absolutely

Customer Question

I am a wife searching for answers. My husband absolutely refuses to believe he has a gambling problem. In the last 15 years he has lost over $1 Million trading stocks and now options. He has not successfully held a job in 16 years and kept our severe money situation a secret from me until 2 months ago.
Family & friends are recommending an intervention but my lawyer friend tells me we need an expert in attendance.
My husband's basic intelligence and stock/options knowledge are so far above any that would be in attendance that we risk being bullied into submission due to our lack of understanding of options/trading.
Where does one go to find an expert to represent us. A Dr. for a psychiatrist, Bets Off representative?
Please advise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that your husband has these issues with his gambling addiction, I can understand how distressing this can be. Most psychiatrists do not provide therapy as they primarily only treat patients with medications, so it would be best to see a Psychologist or Therapist that specialize in Addiction disorders. To find a good expert in your area, I would recommend using this website where you put your zip code and then on the left hand side under "Issues" you can put Gambling to find the best professional in your area that treats Gambling Addiction.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps to provide you some guidance on this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.