Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

What are the different types of narcissism? My dad fits many

Customer Question

What are the different types of narcissism? My dad fits many of the descriptions, but yet does not really fit others. He definitely cannot and will not feel empathy. He talks highly of himself (and even me) when he talks to others, but has never EVER asked me how I am or what I have been doing. He has never asked about anything in my life. Only seems to note the obvious things he knows. Just yesterday, I brought him a Valentine. He did not say Happy Valentines Day to me, nor did he thank me. He sat and did his crossword puzzle as I tried to visit with him. He loves to tell me about himself, but is not at all interested in me. Can you recommend a good book that would help me cope with his behaviors?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you believe that your father may have traits of a Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD), I can understand how distressing this can be for you. It is actually a common misconception that there are different types of NPD, but in fact there is only one diagnostic category of NPD. NPD can have different criteria, but there is still only one diagnosis for this disorder and there are no established diagnostic subtypes. May I ask, is your chief complaint of your father the lack of interaction with you and apathy for you? Or can he be aggressive in attacking you (usually verbally), manipulative, controlling, etc...?