Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My dr. Prescribed me 30 1mg xanax for my ptsd anxiety from…

Customer Question
My dr. Prescribed me 30...
My dr. Prescribed me 30 1mg xanax for my ptsd anxiety from war. I feel I need more than 1mg per day and was looking for a legal route to get enough for 3 a day
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/13/2016
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 2 years ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Hello Wesley, my name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in private practice in New York. First, let me say thank you for your service to our country. I have and still do work with many war veterans that have served in Afghanistan. May I ask have you asked the doctor who prescribed the Xanax to you to increase it? How else are you dealing with your PTSD? Are you in therapy? And lastly, do you live in an area where there are services for Veteran's? Thank you, ***** ***** wait to hear from you. Linda

I am in therapy through the va. I have had appointment missed by doctors and doctors I didn't understand so I went outside the VA for help. I have not asked for an extended dose and plan on doing so, but she already said that she can't prescribe xanax long term. This is why I'm trying to reach out for help

May I ask how long it has been since you have been back home and what the symptoms are of your PTSD? Are you having nightmares? Panic attacks? etc.

Constant worry, crowd anxiety, panic attacks, realistic flashback nightmares/sweats.
I've been home for 8 years

Wesley, I know you must be very uncomfortable with these intense symptoms and yes Xanax can be very helpful in treating them, it is very addictive as i am sure you know. Xanax is a s a benzodiazepine and heavily regulated. While there is nothing illegal about a doctor prescribing Xanax for long-term use, and many psychiatrists do, because of its extreme addictive qualities, Xanax is only approved by the FDA for up to eight weeks. I am sure your doctor is trying to be conservative in her treatment but I do encourage you to work with her and to be honest about how your PTSD is affecting you. I have found with several of the men who are Veteran's that i work with, they tend to minimize how anxious and not okay they are. You signed up for a very difficult job and you had to be strong and in control to be able to do it. However, now is the time to let your doctor and therapist know what you are experiencing and your need to feel more safe and relaxed. Besides medications I have also seen therapy dogs being very helpful and effective for veterans. And here in New York State they are paid for by the VA. do you work out or do any kind of meditation to help you to feel calmer?

another resource that may help is the Real Warrior Message Boards. You can learn there what others who are suffering from PTSD have done to cope and lead a more fulfilling life. Is there anything else i can help you with?

That'll do it. Thank you for your help

I wish you all the best, ***** ***** appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my service to you. Sincerely, Linda