Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I get flash backs of my wedding and how my parents couldn't…

Customer Question
Hi. I get flash backs...
Hi. I get flash backs of my wedding and how my parents couldn't attend because of trimming and travel distance. When I get invited to a wedding or I'm watching a movie I get sick to my stomach and I feel very guilty. My dad passed away in 2009 and I always dream about him cause I loved him so much.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/12/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are experiencing these symptoms, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. It sounds like you may be experiencing symptoms of a traumatic disorder given the flashbacks and somatic symptoms you described. Have you considered entering into therapy with a psychologist or therapist to help you process this trauma and loss in order to help you move forward?

I never thought about it this way to be honest with until the other day. I was suffering from this for a while and it's getting worst. I have very good relationship with my mom and told here to forgive me that I couldn't have here attend and she told me she's not mad. It's the guilt feeling that's killing me and its weired. Do u think I might have something else going on?

Guilt is common with traumatic disorders as you try to blame yourself as a way to rationalize and cope with the trauma/loss. Also flashbacks are a hallmark symptom of a traumatic disorder as well, which is why I think you are most likely suffering from this type of disorder. Given how long you have struggled with these symptoms, you most likely would benefit from either Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) or Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) as these two therapy modalities are specific in treating traumatic disorders.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.

But I didn't suffer any trauma?

Your father passing away can be considered traumatic. Also some people would consider their parents missing their wedding as a traumatic event as well. Trauma is considered subjective to the individual and does not have to be life threatening or causing bodily harm.