Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I was widowed 2 years ago after 30 years of marriage and am

Customer Question

I was widowed 2 years ago after 30 years of marriage and am 62 years old, I have been struggling with depression and anxiety for years. On the 20th of January my 31 year old son who I had been living with passed away suddenly I am struggling to control my anxiety I feel so tired and yet unable to sleep and just overwhelmed with sadness . I was wondering if there are any mild tranquillizers I could take to help me through this difficult time.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry to hear about your sudden loss, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. The most ideal medication to help lessen your anxiety would be a benzodiazepine, have you ever taken that type of medication before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have many years ago when we were going through some very difficult financial problems
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

So if you go to a psychiatrist in your area than you can be prescribed a benzodiazepine at a low dose which which can serve as a mild tranquilizer to help lessen your anxiety and stress. Klonopin may be best for you since it has a longer half-life and will last longer throughout the day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome, I am always happy to help. Was there anything else I can assist you with?