Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My 13 year old daughter is obsessed with baby dolls pretends…

Customer Question
my 13 year old daughter...
my 13 year old daughter is obsessed with baby dolls pretends there a real buy baby clothes bottles and actually makes fake formula for the baby dolls how do I stop this
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/31/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. This is definitely a serious issue and if your daughter believes that these dolls are real, she may have a delusional disorder, which needs to be treated immediately. May I ask, how long has this been an issue? Has she seen a Child Psychiatrist or Psychologist for treatment?

roughly a year and a half

And has she seen a Child Psychiatrist or Psychologist for treatment?

No

Okay so if your daughter believes that these dolls are alive, even if you tell her they are not, than that does meet the criteria for a delusion which is very serious. She needs to be seen by a Child psychiatrist immediately for treatment with medications to resolve the delusion. Then once she is stabilized on a medication regimen, she will be seen by a Child Psychologist for a form of treatment called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) which will help her to break away from the delusional thought process. I know you want to help your daughter, but remember you are only her parent, not a mental health practitioner so it is best to get her to see the right professionals to help her. If your daughter had a heart issue, you would not hesitate to take her to a cardiologist, well the same applies her except the problem lies in her mind. Your daughter definitely needs help and the combination of medication and therapy will help resolve this, but it will take time as she is most likely suffering from a serious mental health disorder.

Most most definitely will get her help I live in Manatee County what we have a mental health place called center stone

Let me check that place out real quick and tell you what I think about it. Give me a couple minutes to get back to you

This is a good Community Behavioral Health center from the looks of it as they have trained Child Psychiatrists and Child Psychologists/Therapists that will be able to help your daughter. They appear to be well organized, have an inpatient and outpatient care center, as well as individual and group therapy sessions. So overall I think this is going to be a very beneficial place for your daughter. Given that you have tried to punish, redirect her, and put obstacles in her way to stop this behavior and they have not helped, suggests that she needs the treatment as soon as possible so that the core issues can be addressed and treated. Hopefully the staff at this clinic will be able to help her very soon. Please let me know if you have any other questions as I am here to assist you

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.