Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I talked to Dr. Z the other night regarding my wife and her…

Customer Question
Hi, I talked to Dr...
Hi, I talked to Dr. Z the other night regarding my wife and her behaviors with secrecy and rage.
Further update: my wife deletes and archives emails without ever telling me what they are. There was one I saw regarding a lingerie purchase on Amazon that she quickly deleted before I read it.
I asked her about it and she said "the last time I purchased lingerie was when I bought the two new tops for you." The problem with this is, when she said this, she was shaking her head no throughout. I said her words were incongruous with head movements and she started crying saying "why don't you believe me."
My question is: how accurate are incongruous head movements with speech? I have read that it is uncontrollable and usually is only inaccurate with people from other parts of the world.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Is someone working on my question?
1/31/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

Hello again. Sorry for the delay, I am sporadically online on the weekends. I am not an expert in body language as I feel it is more pseudoscience than actual science, so I will opt out and allow another expert to help you. Good luck.

Mental Health Professional: Jeremy High,
 replied 2 years ago
Jeremy High

Hi there, I'm Jeremy. I'm a clinical social worker. non-verbals are not my expertise but I would venture to say that the ones you describe are more related to anxiety she may be experiencing. Anxiety can for sure drive odd body movements.

Long and short, from my point of view, she is likely experiencing anxiety due to the tenderness of the situation.