Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My son is schizophrenic and has recently had 2 cataracts…

Customer Question
My son is schizophrenic and...
My son is schizophrenic and has recently had 2 cataracts removed from his eyes, and now has been diagnosed as being diabetic. He has stopped taking Zyprexa because he thinks it will cause him to lose his legs and feet. and now is upset and refusing to take Zyprexa I am trying to get him to take Zyprexa again but he has become very upset and I don't know what to do. He also wants to speak to a psychiatrist.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
1/30/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer, I have a specialization in psychopharmacology and I will be happy to help you today. Unfortunately there is of course an increase in blood glucose levels with the atypical antipsychotic medications and the increase in weight gain associated with Zyprexa can make the incidence rate of Diabetes Type 2 more prevalent. There are studies that show a lower incidence rate of diabetes and increased blood glucose levels with risperidone and some of the typical antipsychotics such as Haloperidol and Flupenthixol; has your son tried any of these medications? Also is currently taking any hypoglycaemic medications like Metformin?