How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 24 year old male who has been living a good life. I

Customer Question

Hello I am a 24 year old male who has been living a good life. I want to get this off my chest. I recently admired to my mother that I was sexually abused when I was 5 years old by an older cousin. From then on I molested my 4 year old cousin when I was 11. I also flashed and masterbated in front of my 2 year old cousin once when I was 14. At the time I felt so wrong and still regret this. I feel so bad and am filled with guilt. I am not attracted to children and I am not a pedophile. I don't know what to do. I want to ask for forgiveness from my cousins but they seem not to be affected by this. I am really guilty everytime they ask to hang out with me. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Given the situation and how you are still feeling guilty over this, I would recommend that you consider entering into therapy to help you move past this incident and free yourself from this guilt. Therapy is going to be solely for you and your own guilt and to help you overcome the sexual abuse that you alone suffered as well.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

You need to start to realize that this incident with your cousin was a very long time ago and that it was an immature traumatic response to the abuse that you yourself suffered. You thought that this was "normal" given your own experience and that is because you never addressed your own sexual abuse in treatment. Your guilt is what is your belief that you need to be constantly punished for what you did, so you are holding on to this guilt as a way for repentance, but it is affecting you greatly. You need to look for a therapist that specializes in treating victims of childhood sexual abuse so that you can begin the process of healing as that is the only way you will be able to overcome this guilt and move forward with your life.