How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have one question. If a 14 year old flashed his privates

Customer Question

I have one question. If a 14 year old flashed his privates to a one year old and mistreated in front of him is he going to get arrested. My son came up to me and admited that he did this and had regretted doing the act and vowed to never do it again. He also told he was a victim to sexual abuse. Should i take him to a therapist?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. You have two questions here, one is a legal question on if your son will get arrested and the other one is a psychological question. I am a psychologist, not a lawyer, so I can only answer the psychological question. If you more pressing concern is if your son will get arrested or not than I can forward this question to the legal category, but if you want to stay on the psychological issue, I can answer that for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to stay on the psychological issue.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I just wanted to make sure. You definitely want to take your son to see a psychologist if he has reported sexual abuse that occurred in the past. His flashing to this one year old could be a manifestation of such abuse as a way for his subconscious to try to repress and rationalize the sexual abuse. In addition, this behavior could also get worse as he gets older and could lead to more problematic issues...what your son did is common of victims of childhood sexual abuse and is not considered a normal part of childhood/adolescent sexual development. So the sooner he sees a psychologist for treatment, the better. Also in case you were curious, the psychologist will not report your son to the police regarding the flashing incident because it happened in the past, the psychologist is only mandated to report potential danger to others, so if your son reports he has an urge to flash or abuse a child than the psychologist is mandated to report that to the police.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. He said that this happened a long time ago and is guilty for it. He is also wanting to forget about it. He is a good kid who wants a career in the future. I also pray that he is able to get past this. He is afraid of going to jail for this incident that happened one time in the past. He has apologized and has told me he has no attraction to children at all.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

It is highly unlikely your son would go to jail for this, but I am not a lawyer, so if he is really worried I would recommend you pose a legal question concerning this on the legal category and then your son can get a definitive answer to that question for reassurance. But I highly doubt he would get arrested. I think therapy for him to help him move past this guilt and move forward with his life will be the best route.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.