Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I feel like I'm in depression and I want to speak to someone…

Customer Question
My name is***** feel...

My name is***** feel like I'm in depression and I want to speak to someone about it

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have been feeling very empty inside. I feel like crying all the time for no apparent reason. My temper has shortened drastically. I just don't feel good anymore. There is just too much hopelessness and helplessness inside me. I feel worthless

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/25/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. What type of treatments have you undergone to address these depressive symptoms (e.g. therapy, medications, etc...)? Also you did not pose a question in your description, so may I ask what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

There's no therapy or medications I'm using. I've never been this kind of a person. This mindset has only been there for the past couple of weeks. I want to know how I can get out of feeling this way and be normal

Well as you know this website does not provide any form of treatment, so you can consider going to a therapist and trying to use techniques to help you break out of this depressive state. The best type of therapy I would recommend would be Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective, then your symptoms will lessen as well. Here are some examples of CBT techniques for you:

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

http://psychology.tools/cbt-thought-record.html

In addition, these two worksheets are very good at helping to lessen negative type thinking. It can help you focus on the big picture and the objective/positive thoughts and outcomes.

http://psychology.tools/decatastrophising.html

http://psychology.tools/what-if.html

Also here are some Free comprehensive CBT websites where there are many more techniques that you can use as well

https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/cbtstep1.htm

Also I would highly recommend that you go to the store and purchase two natural supplements of St. Johns Wort and Omega-3, which can significantly lessen your depressive symptoms within a matter of weeks. But if the symptoms continue than you may need something stronger like a SSRI antidepressant, which you can get a prescription for with your doctor.