Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Im a 31 year old women Been told I have had and ocd also I…

Customer Question
Hi im a 31 year...
Hi im a 31 year old women Been told I have had and ocd also I have panic attacks all since 16 anyway I'm not on any meds and I've had my ocd under control for a number of years I do get flare ups when im stressed . Mid November I started to get a racing mind and I then started to obsess that I was becoming phycotic this obsession went on until two weeks ago my whole life was consumed with this obsession then out of the blue a little over two weeks ago I had this attack were I felt a intense feeling of dispare and fear it was the most overwhelming feeling I've ever experienced in my life not like my normal panic attacks because my heart was not fast or I wasn't short of breath I had absolutely no physical symptoms of anxiety just this intense feeling of doom and helplessness fear ect this attack lasted for over 3 hours non stop I thoughts I should go to a mental ward . from that day on I've have been having the same attacks really scary and intense my mind races but o can't think I feel like I'll lose control and a horrible feeling of helplessness during one of these attacks I even had a quick thought of killing myself which scared the hell out of me as I'm not a person that's suicidal .during this week of hell I didn't eat hardly anything and just took Valium and tamazapan which did help but only till it wore of the whole time I couldn't understand what was happening to me I saw my doctor he said panic attacks ? Yet I've never had panic attacks like this ever ! .anyway its been a little over two weeks now and everyday I wake up and I have a intense feeling of dispare and helplessness or fear and I don't no what of maybe I'm scared of the really bad attacks happening again I also can't think of anything else other then how bad I'm feeling so I can't get interested in cooking , eating , showering , study or anything cause this feeling consumes me all day I can't get over it at night time it gets a bit better I don't no why ? I feel like I'm going totally insane . I have a constant feeling of uneasiness and doom feeling and I can't stop thinking about it because it feels so horrible I'm hardly eating and feel like the real me is lost I'm really scared can you please help me understand what's happening to me ???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
1/24/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello again and thank you for requesting me. I know this is very distressing to you, but you have been diagnosed with OCD and a Panic Disorder which is why these symptoms are so intense for you. No one can really tell you why this is happening now and at such intensity because we do not know the causes of these mental health disorder, we only know how to treat them. The cause of why this is happening is not as paramount as the treatment...as an example causes for most cancers is not a factor for treatment because even if you know the cause of what caused the cancer it has not bearing on what the treatment protocol should be as you still need to treat and cure the cancer. The same applies to mental health disorders because even if we know what the causes of why this is happening to an individual, it does not change the fact that the disorder is still present and the individual is still suffering from the symptoms, which is why the focus must be on treatment. Is there a reason why you are not taking any medications at this time to help lessen your symptoms? Also are you currently in any form of therapy like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical behavioral Therapy (DBT), or Mindfulness?

I'm having moments where I feel quite confused and my legs feel in coordinated kinda feel like I'm drugged

These are physical symptoms of anxiety and panic because your blood pressure and heart rate have changed due to the anxiety/panic. Muscle coordination issues are common symptoms of anxiety and panic...here is a good link explaining why and what specific physical symptoms are associated with anxiety/panic.

http://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/how-worrying-affects-your-body

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/symptoms/physical

Given the severity of your symptoms though, I would highly recommend that you reconsider medications or at the very least try natural supplements like Valerian Root, KAVA, Picamilon, or Passion Flower. Once your anxiety and panic are under control, you will better respond to the therapy modalities that I recommended

The confusion is also common with anxiety as stress/anxiety increases Cortisol levels which impairs your Temporal Lobe. This can cause cognitive impairments such as memory and concentration deficits.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.

Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist