Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have intrusive negative thoughts and feelings telling me…

Customer Question
I have intrusive negative thoughts...
I have intrusive negative thoughts and feelings telling me that I cannot do things, specifically skill base. for example I play the drums, I know logically and consciously that I can do this. But I continuously have these intrusive negative feelings telling me that I cannot possibly be able to have these skills. Please help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, have you considered entering into treatment with a psychologist for therapy, specifically Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), to help lessen these negative thoughts?

but I haven't yet

Well it sounds like the negative thoughts are more a result from depression and/or low self-esteem, and that can be corrected with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective, then your symptoms will lessen as well. Here are a few good examples of CBT techniques that you can use:

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

http://psychology.tools/cbt-thought-record.html

In addition, these two worksheets are very good at helping to lessen negative type thinking. It can help you focus on the big picture and the objective/positive thoughts and outcomes.

http://psychology.tools/decatastrophising.html

http://psychology.tools/what-if.html

Ultimately though it would be wise to enter into CBT therapy with a psychologist since it takes months for any type of therapy to be effective, as therapy is very gradual. Also one on one therapy can be individualized to your particular issue and your specific negative thoughts. Overall CBT therapy is what you want to help stop these automatic negative thoughts.

Okay thank you I will look into the CBT therapy in my area the only reason I haven't done it before is because he is forced to not happen all the time I can go for weeks without being affected by it and then suddenly I get of a couple of weeks also where it is very debilitating. And then just like that it goes away. Is there any other little things I can start doing now to help me?thank you
these intrusive thoughts not he is sorry using voice to text not very good

You can use these free CBT websites which have many more techniques that can help you, but overall the use of CBT is going to be the most effective since that therapy specifically combats negative thoughts

https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/cbtstep1.htm

It will take time as there are no quick fixes to this, but consistently using CBT therapy techniques will erase this problem.

ok thank you very much was a bit lost on this issue as I find it really difficult to explain to people. Could also be a result of high stress as In the last 2 years it started a new job which is quite stressful

Anxiety, Depression, Low Self-esteem, and many other issues can contribute to automatic negative thoughts, which is why CBT will be excellent in helping to lessen and stop these thoughts. I truly wish you all the best and I hope that these negative thoughts lessen very soon.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.

ok thank you

You are most welcome. I wish you all the best :)