How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1379
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am suffering from severe DEREALIZATION (living in a dream

Customer Question

I am suffering from severe DEREALIZATION (living in a dream like state or unreal state) i have seen few psychiatrists and they tell me there is no medication to treat this
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I do not accept phone calls at this time, but you can continue in this Q&A format if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks no question
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

You do not have a question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks and good by
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I am still here if you have a question later regarding your Derealization/Depersonalization Disorder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked a question and instead of getting an answer I received some other advice that and I was charged the fee.Please answer my question
Expert:  Linda D. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist. i am not a psychiatrist but I hear your frustration and wanted to help you with the issue of medications for Derealizatiion or Depersonalization disorder. Here are some options that could possibly help you:

  • Psychotherapy: This kind of therapy for mental and emotional disorders uses psychological techniques designed to encourage communication of conflicts and insight into problems.
  • Cognitive therapy: This type of therapy focuses on changing dysfunctional thinking patterns.
  • Medication: There is no medication to treat the dissociative disorders themselves. However, a person with a dissociative disorder who also suffers from depression or anxiety might benefit from treatment with a medication such as an antidepressant or anti-anxiety drug. Antipsychotic medications are also sometimes used to help with disordered thinking and perception related to depersonalization.
  • Family therapy: This kind of therapy helps to educate the family about the disorder and its causes, as well as to help family members recognize symptoms of a recurrence.
  • Creative therapies (art therapy, music therapy): These therapies allow the patient to explore and express his or her thoughts and feelings in a safe and creative way.
  • Clinical hypnosis: This is a treatment technique that uses intense relaxation, concentration, and focused attention to achieve an altered state of consciousness or awareness, allowing people to explore thoughts, feelings, and memories they might have hidden from their conscious minds.

I truly hope this information helps you. Please let me know if you have any other questions or issues you would like more information on. Sincerely, Linda