Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My son travels by air (with me accompanying him) and we

Customer Question
drive sometimes, he goes once...
My son travels by air (with me accompanying him) and we drive sometimes, he goes once a month to visit his father. He has traveled this 600 mile trip 31 times in 1 and a half years, he just turned 3. It is to the point now where my son doesn't want to go anywhere, even if it is just running local errands. He tells me it's to far for him and he wants to stay at his house, he often cries and puts up a fight but eventually we leave. Is this to much traveling for my son? Do you think this is effecting his behavior in any way, I'm becoming concerned.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
1/16/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

Hello and thank you for using just answer. May I ask how does your son act on the flight and immediately after?

As soon as we take off he puts up a fuss to turn around, I let him know that we cannot and that he will have fun and that his dad has lots of fun things planned for him. He says he needs to be home. Once we are traveling home after the visit he is ok

Thank you for your response. It does sound like he may be overwhelmed or overall exhausted by the number of flights he is taking, so it would be best to lower the frequency of these flights. You can give him around a 2-3 month break from flying and then promise him that you will lower the frequency. To a child, flying like this can be an ordeal and a big thing for them so it stimulates them a lot, but a child can very well be over-stimulated and they need a break every now and again. So if you provide him with a break and lessen the frequency of the flights, your son should adapt fairly well to that and his behavior and mood will improve. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am here to assist you.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.