Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Since early childhood, I have abused alcohol. I'm 40 years

Customer Question
old and last year started...
Since early childhood, I have abused alcohol. I'm 40 years old and last year started seeing a counselor for the first time in my life. I may have a personality disorder. I have severe depression and anxiety and rarely leave my bed, let alone the house. I was/am a real estate broker, but obviously, I can't work like this. I want to go to a residential (hopefully not more than 30 days) treatment center. From my internet research, it seems there are 2 choices; an alcohol treatment center with dual diagnosis programs or an actual mental facility where they'd take my shoelaces and throw me in with a mix of people with much much more severe mental problems than me (I've done this one twice). Am I missing something? If I go to an alcohol/dual diagnosis type center, are they going to mostly focus on my alcoholism? Or actually focus on addressing the CAUSES of my turning to alcohol? And to complicate things, I live in Idaho and have to find a facility in Idaho.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
1/7/2016
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 1 year ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed therapist in New York State and also a certified drug/alcohol specialist. I have been a therapist and the Clinical Treatment Director for a chemical dependency treatment facility for over eight years. Your search and questions regarding the best setting for you to get your clinical needs met is a really important one. Treatment facilities for dual diagnosis will focus as much if not more on your mental health challenges as the substance abuse. The focus will be on abstinence from substances but will treat the underlying mental health issues that may be leading to the need to self-medicate. However, most residential facilities will be looking for a dependency diagnosis rather than abuse for you to qualify. I can research facilities in Idaho and see which one sounds like it may be able to meet your needs if you would like. Linda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would love to have your help. It doesn't seem like I have a lot of choices.

Okay, please give me a few minutes while I do some research. Linda

You are right. Idaho doesn't have lots of options, but I did read the information on a place that sounds like it could be a possible option for you to look into. It is called Sober Living DD Treatment and is in Boise Idaho. Their number is(###) ###-#### They have all of the components that would offer a comprehensive set of services and they have a 30 day residential program for women. I hope this helps. is there anything else i can help you with? Linda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. You've been a great help. I'm sorry I don't have any tip money.

Ahhhhh, no problem, you have a good sense of humor. I wish you all the best and please could you take a minute and rate my service to you? Thank you, Linda

Linda D.
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC