How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1379
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I suffer from severe anxiety disorder. I am 55 years old and

Customer Question

I suffer from severe anxiety disorder. I am 55 years old and this has been going on for years due to a bad car wreck where I went through the windshield. I now find my myself not being able to control my temper unless I'm taking my medication. I take 3 alprazolam a day. This is only drug that calms me down and keeps me stay focused and clear headed My doctor says he does not feel comfortable prescribing these and has cut me off as of 12.30. I'm scared because I've already had two strokes in the last year and I feel like I brought them on because of my extreme stress. I need help but I don't know where to turn and I don't want to purchase them off the internet for fear of being prosecuted. I don't want to leave the house but I have to work. I'm becoming a complete introvert and all I want to do is stay in the bed. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you were put in this situation, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. Unfortunately your doctor should have never let you become so dependent/addicted to the Alprazolam as that medication should have only been used for a few weeks, not years. Also given that you were on such a high dose of the Alprazolam, you should have been given a taper to avoid serious withdrawal effects too. In this situation though if you want to go back on the medications, I would recommend that you try to find another psychiatrist that treats anxiety and panic, and he/she may be willing to provide you a prescription for Alprazolam. Another option is that you can ask your doctor for a prescription of Pregablin or Gabapentin as these medications are not addictive (Pregablin is listed as a Controlled Substance, but not nearly as addictive as Alprazolam) and have a similar neurochemical function as the Alprazolam, so these may help with your anxiety too.

Related Mental Health Questions