Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have had a pretty rough life from parental rejection to

Customer Question
beaten by a ex spouse...
I have had a pretty rough life from parental rejection to beaten by a ex spouse and running for my life, only to have him come back after a short time and murder my fiancee in front of me and my children. That was in '97'. How can I get the nightmares of my past to go away and began repairing my life without the use of narcotics and large amounts of alcohol? How do I love another without being scared to let my guard down due to past situations?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
12/29/2015
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you have had to endure these tragedies and traumas in your life, but it sounds like the only way for you to overcome these long-term traumatic symptoms would be through the use of therapy and possibly psychotropic medications. Most psychotropic medications are non-addictive so they are perfectly safe to take if you choose too. But I would highly recommend that you find a psychologist in your area that deals with trauma and uses Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as that is a very effective therapy to help people move forward and regain their lives from past trauma.

Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist