How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1379
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I go about getting help I think has Munchausen

Customer Question

How can I go about getting help for someone I think has Munchausen Syndrome?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. A Factitious Disorder or otherwise known as Munchausen's Disorder is very difficult to treat because first off the medical doctor has to realize that Munchausen's Disorder is possible and refer the patient to psychiatry/psychology and the patient has to be open to this type of psychiatric treatment. For these reasons alone it is rare to see someone be treated with Munchausen's Disorder because most medical doctors are not trained in psychiatry and most patients will just "doctor shop" to find another doctor willing to treat what ever medical ailments are occurring. So with this being said do you have access to this individual's medical doctor, can you communicate with him/her?