How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****. Well I'm currently on Abilify 5mg,

Customer Question

Customer: Hello my name is ***** *****.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well I'm currently on Abilify 5mg, Lamictal 100mg, and Temazepam 30mg. I have bipolar disorder and recently was diagnosed with ADHD by a psyD.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mental Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I am concerned about what the next step in my treatment will be. I want to be treated for ADHD but I cannot take stimulants. So I plan to ask my dr for strattera or wellbutrin. Sure I can wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I understand your concern about taking a psychostimulant medication because of your Bipolar Disorder. Most likely your doctor would rather start you off on Strattera as that has a lower stimulation effect than the Wellbutrin. Your doctor may also increase the Lamictal to control for any hypomania or mania that could occur with the Strattera or Wellbutrin. While Strattera and Wellbutrin are safer options and preferable for someone with a Bipolar Disorder, they may not work. Thus a starting low dose of a psychostimulant may be needed and to counteract the effect increasing the Lamictal and/or Abilify would be recommended, so be prepared for that possibility if the Strattera and Wellbutrin are not effective for treating your ADHD.