Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My boyfriend, who says he loves me, had a marriage which…

Customer Question
my boyfriend, who says he...
my boyfriend, who says he loves me, had a long marriage which ended sadly. He weeps over his wife, always did, still does at times. When I get upset over something, he turns absolutely cold and says, :"I feel nothing." Do you believe he honestly has any emotional connection to me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
12/11/2015
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are having this issue with your partner. As you know I cannot read your boyfriend's mind so I cannot tell you with 100 percent certainty that he does have an emotional connection with you. Most likely he has an emotional connection with you, but it is hard to focus on that connection when he is still suffering from depressive symptoms due to his wife's death. Also it is very possible that this weak emotional connection could be because he has not fully let go of his wife and still focuses on the connection he used to have with her. So overall depressive symptoms and not moving forward could be the reason for this weak emotional connection, but there is probably an emotional connection, it is just not nearly as strong as the one he had with his wife.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.