Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Family's falling apart husband avoids sex I suffer

Customer Question
Family's falling apart husband...
Family's falling apart husband avoids sex I suffer depression, panic attacks feel very alonexcited everyone blames me for all the problems in the family not sure what to do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
12/4/2015
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what exactly is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

How do i handle it all
Any ideas

That is definitely an open ended question because there really is no one way to handle it all. One thing is that you personally can look towards undergoing therapy and possible psychotropic medications to help lessen your symptoms of the depression and panic disorder. I would highly recommend that you undergo Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) with a psychologist as this is the most effective form of therapy for coping for such adverse situations. CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective, then your symptoms will lessen as well. Here are some effective techniques to give you an example of how CBT works.

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

http://psychology.tools/cbt-thought-record.html

In addition, these two worksheets are very good at helping to lessen negative type thinking. It can help you focus on the big picture and the objective/positive thoughts and outcomes.

http://psychology.tools/decatastrophising.html

http://psychology.tools/what-if.html

As for the psychotropic medications, usually a SSRI antidepressant combined with a benzodiazepine can be very effective for treating both depression and panic attacks within a few weeks. If you do not like to take medications than the natural supplement combination of St. Johns Wort, Picamilon, and Omega-3 can be helpful, but these are not nearly as strong as prescription medications although they will have considerably less side effects.

What you are going through is a delicate situation and you are not going to get relief from simple techniques, which is why seeking out systematic and long term treatment/support is going to be in your best interests. This will not solve your problems over night, but it will help you to cope in the long-run.

Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist