Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I recently was diagnosed with bipolar and have been

Customer Question

I recently was diagnosed with bipolar and have been prescribed latuda, my question is, is it okay to still smoke weed while on this medication
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. It would be unwise to continue smoking Marijuana while on the Latuda because Marijuana is a psychoactive substance and its interaction effects with the Latuda are unknown given that Marijuana is illegal so studies on its interaction with other medications are sparse. The use of these two strong substances could cause your Bipolar symptoms worsen or possibly can cause psychotic symptoms like Hallucinations and Delusions. So to be safe it would be best to refrain from using Marijuana while on the Latuda