How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a mother of a son who truly believes he is being gang

Customer Question

I am a mother of a son who truly believes he is being gang stalked. He believed all these things before someone told him about gang stalking. Our family has tried to reason with him and tried to get him to seek help but to no avail. He is 32 is there anything we can do other than trying to reason with him. I am truly lost as to how to handle someone you can not see reality.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that your son is having these issues as it sounds like he is suffering from a psychotic disorder. Unfortunately it is near impossible to reason with someone who is suffering from such delusions and psychosis as they are too irrational. This means that there is absolutely nothing you can say to reason with him that he is not being gang stalked; this is why therapy alone is not effective in treating delusions and overall psychosis. What your son needs is to see a psychiatrist and be put on a stable atypical antipsychotic medication regimen, as this is the only treatment that can lessen such symptoms. I realize your son is not willing to do this and the system cannot help you because he is not a danger to himself or others, but have you considered talking to a lawyer about a conservatorship where a conservator is in charge of his medical needs and decisions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I have been afraid of what he might do if I tried to force help on him. I mentioned that I found a crisis center that would send a couple out to talk to him, he took off and we didn't see him for a couple of days. I will talk to the family about finding a lawyer, I assume there are lawyers that specialize in this type of issue.
Thank you,
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

There are mental health law advocates out there, but usually family law attorneys can be helpful in determining if a conservatorship is appropriate for your son. You can also try to talk to him about reducing his anxiety/stress and that maybe therapy or psychotropic medications would be helpful for him to reduce his stress that this "gang stalking" is creating. Obviously it will not eliminate the delusions, but it may get him in the system and access to mental health care on a voluntary basis. From there a psychologist or psychiatrist may be able to convince him or find a "loophole" to get him the antipsychotic medications that he needs. I truly wish your son all the best and I hope that he gets treatment very soon.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.

Related Mental Health Questions