How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1379
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband of 46 years says my concern about his immoderate

Customer Question

My husband of 46 years says my concern about his immoderate drinking is about me controlling him. He comes in after work every day and has a beer or two and follows that up with up to a bottle of wine+/-. He drinks daily, and the amount is increasing. I used to enjoy a glass of wine with him, but I no longer find that enjoyable because of my anxiety over the amount he drinks. I will have a glass of wine maybe a couple of times a month, and I won't drink with him. He watches what he eats, treats his high blood pressure, and works out at the gym. When I comment, he gets angry. His justification: why should he not do something he enjoys? And who am I to tell him how he should do what he enjoys? Never a person to be intentionally hurtful, he is now being intentionally hurtful, behaving like a smouldering and resentful teenager. What do I want? I want him to be more aware of his drinking - have a glass or two of wine, and that's it.
My question: what can I do - for me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. You ask, what can you do, are you asking about what you can do about your husband's drinking or are you asking about something else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please cancel the transaction.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Sure, you can contact customer service directly and they can help you with that.