Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

What can I do about painful intercourse during

Customer Question

what can I do about painful intercourse during perimenopause ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied wi

I am sorry to learn about your problem and I will like to offer my help.with the answer.

Well, you see painful intercourse which is clinically described as Dyspareunia is quite common among women who are in the perimenopause

phase and the reason behind this painful sex is that during perimenopause the female sex hormones like estrogen which is responsible for lubrication of vaginas is declining and therefore the vaginas ends up becoming dry and hence the sdx becomes painful.So the treatment of painful intecourse or dyspareunia as one would call it clinically is to provide appropriate lubrication to the vaginas and is can be achieved by use of either topical estrogen cream which is applied in the vagina or a better alternative would be use of a medication by the name ospemifene ( osphena ). Both of these medications are effective in managing your painful intercourse issue but the latter medication is relatively safer in terms of side effects , so discuss both with your prescribing doctor and use one of them. Other than drug therapy, you may also consider desensitisation therapy or sex therapy from a qualified sex therapist. While in desensitisation therapy, the therapist may teach you vaginal relaxation exercises or pelvic floor exercises , also called as kegel exercises which will help you to reduce pain during intercourse. On the other hand sex therapy will help you to become less resistant during sex and to lessen your emotional burden that you may have developed owing to the prolonged periods of struggle against painful intercourse which invariably must have affected your emotions deep inside you and also affected your intimacy with your partner. So through sex therapy your intimacy issues shall be resolved and he'll you to become more open to the idea of accepting and overcoming this issue of dyspareunia.I hope this helps.Wish you all the best.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer. Regards