Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My mother is a narcissist. My father loved me but often

Customer Question

My mother is a narcissist. My father loved me but often rejected me and hurt me to protect her from taking responsibility for herself. My older brother and sister don't think much of me. I used to be the one who looked after my mum and gave her advice when she was depressed from when I was 6 years old, so I think they were jealous of me. When I was growing up my bother used to scare me with his anger. After I got therapy and told them I was angry with them, my family don't like me much. I'm the outsider. I do anything to be close to them but it's always me making all the effort, they aren't really interested. It's got to the point where when I see them I feel terrible for about a week, and sometimes even suicidal. I don't know what to do. If I don't see them I feel extremely guilty because they won't understand and my little nephews won't understand. I don't know if I should try writing them letters to explain or if that will just make them think even more that I am mad
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to know if I should avoid seeing them, if I should write them letters, or what
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I think it would be best for you to not see your family if they make you feel this way since every time you try to contact them, they only retaliate and cause you emotional distress. I do not think writing letters will be any different and they will retaliate against you causing you emotional pain and cause you a set back. I believe it would be best to move forward from this family until they are really ready to reach out to you and bring about a meaningful discussion to put the past behind and start anew. Until then though, you should focus on your well being.