How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help. No I am not suicidal, but I do not recognize

Customer Question

I need help. No I am not suicidal, but I do not recognize myself anymore. Ive gained 70 lbs since June 2011. My thoughts are almost all negative and I mostly hate myself these days. I do not know why I can't seem to find the will to go to the gym anymore, and I feel like I'm addicted to food. I want to change because I feel like Im going to have a heart attack soon if I don't. The fact that I have failed in making a change with multiple attempts is more depressing than anything. I rarely leave my house outside of work. I'm too ashamed to book an appointment with a psychiatrist in town, and I dont know where to begin to look for a good one. I'm in a self destructive rut, what Can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are struggling with these symptoms, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. It sounds like you are suffering from severe depressive symptoms, so I would recommend that you try a combination approach of medications and therapy. You can go to your primary care doctor for a prescription of an antidepressant as you may feel more comfortable with a doctor you know. Here you can also get a referral to a psychiatrist in case you need more medication management, but hopefully the antidepressant can lessen your symptoms enough so that you will be able to talk to a psychiatrist. In addition, you should seek out a Psychologist that specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as this is the most effective form of therapy to treat your depressive symptoms. Going to these appointments is going to be on you as no one can force you to get treatment unless you are a danger to yourself or others, so if you need some extra support I would recommend consulting with a friend or family member who can go to the appointments with you so that you do not feel alone with this.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.