Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Do you have to have sensory difficulties to be diagnosed

Customer Question
with aspergers or can you...
Do you have to have sensory difficulties to be diagnosed with aspergers or can you have aspergers without them?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2015
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for your question, can you describe or give examples of what sensory difficulties you are talking about?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What I mean is can you have aspergers in the absence of sensory difficulties? Sometimes I think I'm overly sensitive to noise but can quite be sure. The thing is is that I am on the waiting list to be tested for aspergers and if I'm being honest I probably don't have sensory difficulties. So just wondering if it's worth being tested or not.

Individuals with Asperger's Disorder do not necessarily have to have sensory difficulties to meet the criteria for the disorder. Sensory issues is just one aspect that some individuals with the disorder have, but not all of them. Typically you need a certain number of symptoms to meet the criteria for Asperger's Disorder and while sensory issues are one of those symptoms, not having that symptom will not exclude you from the diagnosis as long as you have other key symptoms (e.g. social issues, lack of eye contact, coordination issues, language development delay, etc...).

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As far as sensory difficulties are I am undecided as to wether I have them or not. There are certain sounds which I really dislike, but so does everyone, but these are quite normal sounds and they make me feel really uneasy more than a simple dislike. The thing is is that I can listen to music quite loud on my iphone though. It's like I have sensory difficulties just for specific sounds. Does this sound like sensory difficulties or just triggers? Can someone with aspergers have sensory difficulties for just specific sounds or I'd it for all noise which is loud usually. Also I wasn't really aware of any dislike for noise as a child but maybe I was just unperceptive back then, I knew my mind would shut down, like it was difficult to have thought like it was to much when I'd do things like go to town. Does any of this sound like the sensory difficulties someone would have by aspergers? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Also do I have to pay extra for this additional message?

Sensory difficulties are usually individualized for people with an Autism Spectrum Disorder, like Asperger's Disorder, so you could be sensitive to certain sounds, sights, touch, tastes, smells, etc...Individuals will have different sensitivities as they find certain sensory stimuli, overwhelming, difficulty to process and filter, jumbled, etc...So it is possible what you are describing does fit the sensory difficulty mold, but it would take a full in person evaluation to determine that and to determine if you meet the criteria for an Autism Spectrum Disorder like Asperger's Disorder.

You do not have to pay extra for this question, but you do have to leave a positive rating as that is the only way I get credit for work in helping you today. Thank you.

Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist