Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My son, who was doing fairly well in his first year of

Customer Question

My son, who was doing fairly well in his first year of college until a week or so ago, is suddenly failing assignments and losing hope. On top of it, he will be first-time father next month. I think he's cracking under the pressure, and I don't know what to do. Frankly, I'm a mess too. He receives a lot of financial aid and a scholarship, and I'm disabled and unable to help financially if everything falls apart. Literally, grades have gone from Bs and Cs to Ds and Fs overnight, and he isn't partying. There are some time management issues and confusion about how to write in the proper format (He won't go to the writing lab, no matter how much I beg.).
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am sorry that your son is under this amount of pressure and that it is hurting his performance in school. The choice for him to go to the writing lab or use tutors when available is up to him as he cannot be forced to accept that help. Just like you are in complete control of your actions, he is the only one in control of his actions as well. You can also try to suggest that he go to the school counseling center and maybe attend some group therapy or support groups for other individuals in his situation as anxiety/stress from school and other life issues (becoming a father) is quite common, so he may benefit from that. In addition, you can also recommend for him to start taking some natural supplements that can lessen anxiety such as Valerian Root, Passion Flower, KAVA, or Picamilon. If he wants something stronger for his anxiety/stress than he would need to see a doctor for a prescription, but this can be helpful for him in the long-run. Although even though these steps will be helpful for him, that does not mean he will pursue them as that is up to him

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.