Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am having mild anxiety daily, with bouts of depression. I

Customer Question

hello, I am having mild anxiety daily, with bouts of depression. I have never before taken anything, but my MD ordered 5mg lexapor. Will this be useful?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Lexapro (Escitalopram) is a very good SSRI antidepressant to treat both depression and anxiety with a low rate of side effects, so this is an excellent medication to take. Most likely though, your doctor will increase the dose to around 10-20mg as 5mg/day of the Lexapro is a starting dose and too low to really lessen anxiety and depressive symptoms. But other than that, this is a good medication choice to help lessen your depression/anxiety.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this something I should expect to take daily? and when should I expect to feel results?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

You will need to take it daily and you should begin to see results within 3 weeks and reach full effectiveness around 5-6 weeks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have any information about quitting alcohol, without rehab?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

This is a different subject, so per JustAnswer rules you would have to open up a new question thread as I am only allowed to answer questions on one subject at a time.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.