How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have taken meds for some 20+ years. I take 20mg of prozac,

Customer Question

I have taken meds for some 20+ years. I take 20mg of prozac, 2mg of haloperidol 3 times a day, and cogentin. I smoke cigarettes.....about a pack a day. Is there anything I can ask my doctor about prescribing chandex, or anything I can take without influencing the prescribed meds I presently take. What should I ask my doctor? What might he prescribe to help me stop smoking? You know what I mean?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. What are your current diagnoses that require these medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Z. - Bipolar - John
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. It is possible you may be able to be prescribed Chantix, but this can cause symptoms of psychosis for those that are vulnerable, so if you have any history of psychotic symptoms than this would not be a good medication for you. Two other medications that would work for you would be Wellbutrin and Clonidine, as both of these medications have an off-label use for smoking cessation. Talk to your doctor about your desire to stop smoking and how you feel this has negatively affected your Bipolar Disorder, which is possible as nicotine use can cause mood swings, and that you would like a prescribed medication to help stop you from smoking. You can mention these medications to see what he/she says and hopefully at least one of them will be prescribed to you. In addition to the medications, I would recommend going to therapy with a psychologist that can also help you to stop smoking as well.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.

Related Mental Health Questions