How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 6 year old has been seeing a psychologist for 2 years. I

Customer Question

My 6 year old has been seeing a psychologist for 2 years. I am a non custodial dad and the mother decides to take him there. the psychologist has never performed a treatment plan or has any written documentation to show us regarding our son, even though
she has promised to do this. i pay for 50% of my son's expenses at these sessions. i can avoid paying if i can show these sessions are not medically necessary. can i ask the dr to show or not show these are medically necessary? i want to show the court i should
not pay as they are not medically necessary. also my son was diagnosed with autism at age 4 (so there are some issues with him). however that was very premature as he is doing great in kindergarten socially and that diagnosis was very borderline, so he could
get services and help my ex win in court. i feel the autism is not enough for him to go to therapy, but you may feel different.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Unfortunately if you do not have at least partial custody of your son than you cannot receive any documentation regarding your son's treatment/diagnosis unless the mother agrees to it, according to medical privacy laws of minors. You may be able to go to court and persuade a judge for the mother to release those documents, but just asking the psychologist for them would not help as the psychologist's hands our tied and only the mother can allow for the release of those records. I cannot tell you if therapy is required for your son or not at this stage because while individuals with autism may need therapy, not all do and it really depends on how symptomatic they are and well they function on a daily basis. If you feel your son functions well socially, intellectually, and in school than it is possible he may not need therapy, but again that is up to the psychologist treating him

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have joint legal custody of my son but my ex makes the decisions on his treatments. i have legal rights to his records. i understand that you cannot determine if my son can use therapy. the psychologist said she needs to do an eval on him to determine if it is medically necessary to see him. that response gives me indication it is not right now, as there has not been a recent eval. can i ask her: "there is no evidence or evaluation to show his therapy is medically necessary, correct? "unless she shows me hard evidence, i can take her response to court and show there is no medical necessity to this therapy do you agree?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Okay I was not sure if you meant "non-custodial" as having no physical or legal custody of your son, but if you have shared custody than you are entitled to the documents from the psychologist. As for if the therapy is medically necessary, I would recommend giving the psychologist latitude to conduct an appropriate evaluation than depending on the results you can take her response to court on if it is medically necessary or not. Your son's well being and care is what is a priority here and that is why I would ask for her to conduct such an evaluation before going back to court.