Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

For the past couple of weeks I've been more irritable than

Customer Question

For the past couple of weeks I've been more irritable than usual. I go from being happy to the smallest thing setting me off and I lose my temper then end up crying uncontrollably until i fall asleep. Some mornings i wake up and act as if nothing happened but other mornings i feel depressed. What's going on with me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 1 year ago.

Hello: thank you for your question. Have there been any major changes in your life that you can pinpoint - stress at home, work, health, with relationships, etc.? Have you ever suffered from depression in the past? Thanks for answering these questions. They may help me get a better sense for what may be wrong.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have. I have anxiety and take prozac right now for it. I just got married last week

Thank you for those additional details and congratulations on getting married!!Given that you suffer from anxiety and that you have had a major life event, I would venture that stress has exacerbated your mood symptoms and that once things settle down for you again, your mood will go back to being more stable and you will feel more in control of your emotions again. Depression and anxiety are hugely correlated to what is happening around us and deviations from our routines, distractions, time-consuming things, busy schedules, exciting changes, etc. can all wreak havoc on stability. Make sure you are taking it easy on yourself as things have no doubt been busy. Attend to your eating and try to make time for exercise. You may find that trying to get back on a regular routine will be very helpful now that the wedding has passed. Also, make sure you confide in trusted loved ones about the way you have been feeling - talking can be extremely useful for mood regulation.

If you find that your symptoms continue to feel worse or remain unpredictable for you over the next couple of weeks, you may wish to consult your doctor who prescribes you the Paxil to see if they advise changing doses or taking alternative action. But for now, try to take it easy on yourself and stay distracted. Worrying about your mood and temper is bound to aggravate things and make you continue to over-assess why you are feeling off. As I said before, there is a very good chance that things will get back to normal with your mood once your dust settles so remain hopeful this is true and do your best just to ride out this peak.

Please let me know if you have anything else you'd like to mention and congratulations again!

-Leah

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I would like to take a different approach than the previous expert and suggest that what you are experiencing is a recently new termed phenomenon called Post-Wedding Depression (from the DSM-5 technical point of view this could be an Adjustment Disorder with Depressive Features) . This is where you will experience depressive symptoms (such as irritability, crying spells, sadness, changes in eating and sleep habits) a short time before the wedding (called anticipatory depression) and after the wedding as well. Here are a few great articles on the subject if you are interested in learning more about it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/between-you-and-me/201207/wedding-bell-blues-dealing-post-wedding-depression

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/post-wedding-depression-real-thing/story?id=26113769

http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1861028,00.html

The other unfortunate part is that because you have a pre-existing Anxiety Disorder, this can increase the risk/chance of developing the Post-Wedding Depression. The good news is that this is perfectly treatable. Most researchers on this subject would disagree with the adjusting your Prozac medication or changing to another antidepressant as that has shown to be less effective. Also changing your life-style has not been shown to be as effective either. This is because your depressive symptoms are more centered around one event/situation, so the researchers have shown that a combination of group therapy with other individuals that have or are currently struggling with this same issue and couple’s therapy has been the best form of treatment for this issue. Couples therapy is considered the most valuable as it helps you to cope with the symptoms, bring your spouse in as a key contributor to your support system, and overall will help you to accept this new reality of being married and all the benefits it has for you. The good news is that treatment has shown to be effective in a matter of weeks and it can bring you and your spouse closer together which can help strengthen your marriage. So I would highly recommend couples therapy and/or group therapy before adjusting your medications based on the scientific evidence of this issue and if you need any referrals for a good psychologist/therapist, please let me know as I would be happy to help you in that area as well.