How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter in law has a mental health problem, she is

Customer Question

My daughter in law has a mental health problem, she is abusive, bullying and today is out of control. Constantly screaming and demeaning my son and myself. I would like to know how I could possibly have her committed for psychiatric care as she will not volunteer to seek help. There are children involved in this marriage and I fear for their psychological health when they are constantly subjected to witnessing the conflict. Can you please help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Unfortunately you cannot have your daughter in law committed to a psychiatric facility unless she is a physical danger to herself or others or unless she has committed a serious crime and is sentenced to a psychiatric facility. Now you stated she was abusive and bullies you and the rest of the family, but unless the abuse is physical there is no way to have her committed to a psychiatric facility based on the present criteria. Treatment, even if she definitely needs it, is still voluntary. Just like if you had a heart condition and needed to see a cardiologist, that choice is yours alone to make, as it is your daughter in law's choice to abide by psychiatric treatment or not. Other than this, there is no way to have her committed unfortunately.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

There is a possible third way to have her committed towards psychiatric treatment, but it is complicated. If your son were to file for divorce and there was a custody issue, he could bring up her mental health and that would force a family court judge to require a psychological assessment and possible forced treatment on an outpatient basis if she wanted any custodial rights of the children.