How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 21 years old. He was born with fetal alcohol

Customer Question

My son is 21 years old. He was born with fetal alcohol syndrome has adhd and has been diagnosed with bipolar. He has been to drug and alcohol rehab 5 times since he was 14. He is very explosive. He punches walls and we are afraid he will hurt someone someday. We looked into the pnp center but did not see a lot of good reviews. Can you help us. We need some answers as how to help him before it's too late
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am very sorry to hear about your son's symptoms, I can understand how distressing this can be for him and for you. I definitely would not recommend the PNP center as there are no scientific or peer reviewed studies to back up their claims regarding treatment success and most of their proposals appear to pseudoscientific at best. If you want the best form of assessment and treatment for your son, I would highly recommend that you take him to a University Hospital that has a robust Psychiatric Wing or Center. University Hospitals have the best staff on hand and the most resources available to help patients; in addition they use only scientifically valid treatments and assessments to help diagnose and reduce symptoms. If you were looking in Texas for instance, one of the top 5 Psychiatric hospitals in the country is called the Menninger Clinic and it is associated with Baylor University. So I would highly recommend that you look for a University Hospital either near you or you can select a top 5 University Hospital like the Mclean Hospital associated with Harvard, New York Presbyterian associated with Columbia Medical School, or the Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital associated with UCLA as examples. I wish you and your son all the best and I hope that a successful treatment to lessen his anger will be provided soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which hospital would you go to in the Chicago area
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

The university of Chicago Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences would be best

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Also Rush University and University of Illinois are excellent resources too

Related Mental Health Questions