How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I suffer from PTSD as a Vietnam combat vet. I was prescribed

Customer Question

I suffer from PTSD as a Vietnam combat vet. I was prescribed Clonazepam for my PTSD symptoms. I developed involuntary hand movement after I started taking the Clonazepam in 2000. I, ve also had restless leg syndrome since I came back from Vietnam in 1970. I was receiving psychiatric therapy for a few years until my psychiatrist suddenly died without warning. I have not gone back to therapy since. My question is should I be looking at finding another psychiatrist or do I need to go back to the neurologist or both. I recently had a nerve study that indicated I had some mild carpal tunnel, but the neurologist did not give me any indication that this was the cause of my involuntary hand movement.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello and thank you for your question. Clonazepam usually should not cause involuntary hand movements, but in rare cases there are reports of an Extrapyramidal Reaction which is an drug induced involuntary movement disorder, so if this occurred right after taking the Clonazepam then you may not be well suited for that medication or benzodiazepines in general. I would highly recommend finding a new psychiatrist for therapy and medication management as there are many other medications outside of the benzodiazepines that treat PTSD and it would not hurt to try to undergo therapy again. Most psychiatrist do not provide clinical psychotherapy any more (only 20 percent do) so you may be referred to a psychologist for therapy, but I do feel it would be beneficial for you. It is highly doubtful that the carpal tunnel syndrome was causing your involuntary hand movement as carpal tunnel syndrome is characterized by numbness and pain, not involuntary movements. So seeing a neurologist may not be necessary, but a psychiatrist and possibly a psychologist for treatment would be beneficial for you in the long run.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.

Related Mental Health Questions