How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1379
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is Korean, and undiagnosed Bipolar. I have read over

Customer Question

My wife is Korean, and undiagnosed Bipolar. I have read over the symptoms, of someone who might be Bipolar, and my wife has all the symptoms. I have been dealing with her symptoms for 33 years, and I can't take it anymore. We live in Tampa, FL, and I have not been able to locate any Korean psychiatrists, or Korean speaking psychiatrists in the area. Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for your question. Have you considered taking her to a local major hospital as they usually will provide translators for patients including patients that only speak Korean?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My wife has a class "A" personality. She will no admit, that she has a problem, but complains about being depressed all the time. She also does not want the stigmatism attached, with seeing a psychiatrist, because, once again, she is Korean. If I took her to a major hospital in the area, she would want to know "why", and then the fight would be on.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately she cannot be forced to see a mental health professional as she is not a danger to herself or others, she must volunteer for treatment. Just as much as if you had a heart issue and needed to see a cardiologist the choice to undergo treatment is yours alone, same applies in this case with your wife and her mental health treatment. If she is not willing to undergo treatment than that is her choice unfortunately.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This, I know. I was hoping, someone out there, could help me find the help my wife needs, in regards ***** ***** Korean psychiatrist, locally, who I could either take my wife to, or have them come to our home. Thank you, ***** ***** response, but it's not the answer I was hoping for.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately there do not appear to be any listed Korean Speaking psychiatrists in your area, this is why I mentioned discussing with a hospital about their translators to see if they have a Korean translator for your wife. As for getting a house call visit from a psychiatrist, this is very rare and only a handful of psychiatrists provide this type of service, so finding one that provides house calls and speaks Korean is considered unlikely and improbable. I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I have to give you the facts about the situation.