abray1115
abray1115, Doctor
Experience:  Primary care with particular care and experience in managing common psychiatric problems.
13781349

I've been going through some mental issues for a while now

Customer Question

I've been going through some mental issues for a long while now and I'm not sure what to think do or tell a doctor and or therapist
It's like I've lost my identity all that once defined me as the person I was all my life
I no longer can conduct business as I was once able to ! My father owns a wholesale distributing business and I've always been super business savvy in all areas of business especially when it come to buying and selling products but i was also very savvy in most other areas , wether it be real estate retail or any of many other businesses , obviously there are some businesses that I wasn't all that comprehensive about but for the most part I understood way more than most my peers (not to talk in a boastful way) it's very distressing to me whenever I am in a conversation that requires business kneoledge and savvy cause I can't talk the talk anymore I can't even thinking so based on this I can't walk the walk either if you know what I mean ? I had many opportunities business and romance and life opportunities like fun recreational stuff over the pat 12 years almost 13 but I didn't go for mine so to speak , but even still I was always as sharp as possible very witty intuitive perceptive and a lot of other things that are not coming to mind right now the same way all my skills wether business or something else don't come to mind anymore !!! It's like ice been wiped of all I once had mentally and I can't understand how this happened ?? I'm a totally different person and I can't even tell myself what I see myself as right now compared to before I am very fogged up all the time and lost and missing words thoughts etc etc and I get very anxious when I try doing something I was normally able to do eyes closed its like my brain missing half of itself I'll start talking and have bits and pieces of information knowledge and competence and when I see this I panic in a very big way one cause I was always very competent two cause this new way of being had got me living very unhealthy also I used to exercise eat healthy have sec which I've read is also healthy in ways of cardiovascular (I don't even know how to pick up women anymore ) it's like my grain had shut down and I been going crazy telling all types of doctors this for a long time now and I'm worried that it's been so long now that whatever I lost is gone forever
I don't even know how I lost it but basically in a nut shell how it started was I woke up one morning and everything I see on a day to day basis while driving in the NYC metro area , made it hard for me o dry focused and basically think and feel and do and love oike myself ! I'm in the wholesale coffee business and so I drive around all day long in traffic in NYC and no and Long Island so if everything I see while driving tries me off mentally well my job that much harder but it's not the difficulty of my job I worried about its my competence which seems has somehow been stripped
I'm not me anymore and I haven't been in a loong time
I'm totally disconnected even emotionally and from my family even tho we see eachyther daily it's like I totally in a fog distracted can't find words thoughts ideas desires I can't even eat most times accept for at my mothers house being that if food isolated in front of me 9 out of 10 times I'll eat it
I'm really really stressing bad what the hell has happened to me how can I lose all I always had without even trying to have t
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  abray1115 replied 2 years ago.

Hello!

I'm sorry that your question has gone unanswered for so long. It appears that you have had much work up and evaluation by your medical doctors so far . You indicate seeing mutplie providers but I dontvknow the detailed aspects of testing that you may have had done .

I think that you describe a concerning change in your self observation of your cognitive function. This change could be of a psychiatric origin or it could be of a central nervous system disease or metabolic as possibilities .....

So I would advise that you continue to seek follow up with mainly 2 specialties A) a neurologist and B) a psychiatrist

Your work up may include if you have not had already

---MRI of brain

---EEG

---lumbar puncture to look for evidence of any inflammatory or infection or demyelinating problems

---metabolic tests included in your blood work to include B12 and thyroid function--- liver and renal functions and electrolytes

---toxin exposures should be considered in context of your work and hobbies ( heavy metals and pesticides as example )

--- psychometric testing to screen for mental illness such as depression / anxiety / bipolar disorders etc...

--- consider possible infections as possible cause of mental for to encephalopathy ( mono/ HSV 1/ Lyme disease/etc)

I hope that this information is helpful for you Let me know if I may be of further help.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD