Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am middle age now and have had this disorder my whole

Customer Question

I am middle age now and have had this disorder my whole life. Thusly. It was hardwired since birth. I was on anafranil when I was in my 20s. It did nothing to help curb my hair pulling. It just dulled my personality, but upped my propensity to be irrational and utterly impulsive. Ultimately my marriage failed along with our financial collapse. I was on Paxil briefly years later. that only upped my craving for certain sweets which resulted in weight gain. Thank goodness for Maybelline mascara and long enough bangs to cover the missing eyelashes and eyebrows. I wear gloves when I drive. That keeps me from mindlessly plucking on the road. Is it possible a drug can even work?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello, I am very sorry that you are suffering from this Impulse Control Disorder which sounds like Trichotillomania based on your brief description. Psychotropic medications definitely are effective with this disorder, but unfortunately Psychotropic medications are not an exact science so sometimes there are some trial and error approaches to get the right medication and dosage that will work for you with little to no side effects. For some people they respond great to certain medications and for others they do not respond at all and that is because our body chemistries are different. Lexapro, Zoloft, or Luvox would be the next round of medications to try. In addition, you should also ask your doctor about enrolling you in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Habit Reversal Therapy with a trained psychologist. The use of psychotherapy and medications together form a superior treatment regimen than just using therapy alone or just using medications alone.