Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I'm just realizing that my son has been doing the Molly drug

Customer Question

I'm just realizing that my son has been doing the Molly drug everytime he goes to a music festival, he loves to smoke pot and when he drinks he drinks fast and furious. I have just learned that my husband of 33 years kept a secret from me . I have always played the bad cop , and when I see this type of behaviour I call him out on it, he lost a job because he didn't get home in time from a music festival and got fired . I have just found out that he visited family members during while he had been attending these festivals and my brother in law called my husband to say something wasnt right with our son, he seemed stoned on other than marijuanna. I have confronted my husband and his angered defense is I would have gotten upset. I feel our son is getting out of control as he just informed us he is attending another festival that he cannot afford , since he has just started working . I am devastated and upset , I cannot think of anything else. My husband won't get angry at him in case it ruins there relationship however will scream and yell and swear at me. What should I do.?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I can definitely understand why you are concerned about your son's behavior and substance use. And on top of this your husband has not been very supportive and unified in a response to your son. Do you think you, your husband, and your son would be willing to go to a substance abuse specialist to discuss the dangers of this behavior and how it can affect your son for the long term? Your husband may not be aware of how serious this is, which is why I am mentioning going to a professional. In addition, you have to remember the decision to seek treatment is up to your son only as he must voluntarily seek treatment for it to be effective.