How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1378
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been recalling memories of abusive treatment from my

Customer Question

I have been recalling memories of abusive treatment from my mother and step-father since 1992. This was 10 years after moving from my home state and being on my own without their influence. I have put the puzzle together mostly and wonder how I turned out so well. My mother often put me in harms way and even cleared the house of my siblings so my step-father had complete access to me. I confided in my birth father a few years ago but he has since passed away, as has my step-father. I often wished I had the courage to confront them about this but Their narcissism and life of lies would make it impossible for them to admit it. What should I do with this information?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am very sorry that you suffered from this past abuse and are still plagued by the memories of such abuse. Besides seeing a "hypnotist," which is not a form of treatment, have you considered entering into psychotherapy to help you address and process this abuse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not interested in psychotherapy. I can't afford the expense and it would take decades to explore the details of my childhood. Did you notice that I am 57 years old?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
I did notice your age and I can understand that you have suffered long-term post-trauma from said abuse given your age. But if you are not willing to seek out treatment/therapy for these issues and because this website does not provide any mental health treatment at all, I am not sure there is anything you can do to help you overcome said abuse given how long you continue to struggle with it. You asked what you can do with this information, and since this is still an issue for you than psychotherapy is the only answer on how to overcome it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your time.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
If you change your mind about seeking treatment with therapy to help address the abuse than I can recommend some psychologists/therapists in your area to see, but overall seeking treatment with a therapist is going to be your solution on how to process and overcome this past abuse. I can also recommend the possible use of self-help treatment manuals as well, but these are not as effective as one on one therapy