Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I have 2 questions the first is that life seems cartoon

Customer Question

i have 2 questions
the first is that life seems cartoon like, i do not believe incoming data(names places tv shows magazines internet articles). THey seem to be made up by a person or organization that wants to play with me. its hard to explain, but for instance ill read a yahoo news feed and the news is just surreal. Like it will have continuing articles about subjects that just don't seem like there in the news. it was worse on my phone it had a built in news function. TV shows and moviesthat i have seen the same episodes of over and over, have different people and scenes than in the past. I believe it to be some sort of a loop… as scenarios in my life unfold in pairs( everything happens twice either first with me then someone else or vice versa, order doesn't seem to matter). conversations seem circular. I occasionally hear things such as sirens and voices even so far as a whole monologue from people who are not there. it is possible i guess these people put some sort of audio device somewhere around me to play these noises but improbable because they will go into the most utmost personal things(relationships childhood stuff etc). i will start to write down specific instances but some times it seems to good to be true and some times just seems really sir real i guess you would say. The un reality of this all has lead me to a video game/movie like state were i am protagonist of either one. I seriously wonder if I am in a comatose state, a dream state, or possibly an afterlife. I have several (6 i can remember and more times keep remembering and even new ones)events were I feel it is likely i died or got a severe injury and as a result am in a coma or dead. I have asked people but they assure me i am not. but as i sometimes believe these people to be figments of my imagination(or people from real life but I am now creating them in my head to deal with things somehow). I feel like there is no incoming data just a repeat of the same. I also notice deja vu and very strange characters and vehicles following me around that seem to mimmic me, do actions the same as me in public. I have come to the realization that even if I'm in a coma or dead i am experiencing some form of life so i may as well live it and not wonder all of these things. but is sometimes hard when all these weird things happen. i sometimes wonder if i am alive and just have some sort of audio, visual , tactile hallucinations.or only one of them works and makes other ones go crazy. Again i am not sure. any help or opinions would be great, but I am not sure how much i can rely on any outside data. thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

I am sorry that you are experiencing these symptoms and feelings, I can understand why this would be distressing to you. May I ask, for how long have you felt this way regarding both your questions (when did these symptoms start)? When you say that a person or organization may be trying to "play with" you, why do you think they would do this? You mentioned that you have been seeing therapists since you were 8 years old, have you ever been given a diagnosis for some of your past and present symptoms? Also have you ever been treated with psychotropic medications? Lastly, you did not specifically ask a question in your description, but are you asking for possible reasons/diagnoses for these symptoms?