Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Can anxiety be cured?

Customer Question

hi
can anxiety be cured?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello, anxiety in itself is not a disorder as every human being experiences anxiety/nervousness. Anxiety is a natural state in response to certain situations (e.g. jitters before a date, taking a test, job interview, etc....). Now anxiety becomes a disorder when it is overwhelming and severely impacts your daily life. For this, an anxiety disorder can easily be cured with a combination of different treatment methods. The primary treatment is going to comprise of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) with a psychologist/therapist as this is the most evidence based therapy to lessen anxiety symptoms. CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective, then your symptoms will lessen as well. Here are a couple examples of CBT techniques if you wanted to understand it more:

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

http://psychology.tools/cbt-thought-record.html

In addition, these two worksheets are very good at helping to lessen negative type thinking. It can help you focus on the big picture and the objective/positive thoughts and outcomes.

http://psychology.tools/decatastrophising.html

http://psychology.tools/what-if.html

Now CBT is not something that will lessen an anxiety disorder over night as it takes time to manage this disorder. This is why the combination of psychotropic medications, such as a SSRI/SNRI antidepressant and/or a benzodiazepine, are often used to lessen anxiety symptoms until the CBT therapy takes full effect. These medications can work fairly quickly to lessen anxiety symptoms, so that you can concentrate on healing internally with the therapy. Now because the medications only treat the symptoms of anxiety and not the core causes of the disorder, it is important to not rely solely on the medication because once you stop the medication your anxiety will only return. If you do not like prescription medications than you can also try natural supplements of Valerian Root, Passion Flower, KAVA, or Picamilon as these have anti-anxiety benefits too. But no matter what you are still going to have to undergo the CBT therapy to truly resolve Anxiety for the long-term.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****