Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I have a nephew who is 37 years old. He has a masters in

Customer Question

I have a nephew who is 37 years old. He has a masters in education but is happy being an emt 1. He has not "socially experimented" --never dated and never smoked or used alcohol. He is an extreme loner and does not socialize with peers. He does not follow through with personal responsibilies like making meals for himself or picking up anything he drops. He still resides in his parents home and has never been on his own. He is very smart and can do anything. He is also conceited.
Mental health diagnosis? It seems he has stopped growing in maturity.
Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, as you know I cannot provide an accurate diagnosis online as that would take a face to face evaluation, so I can only speculate as to what your nephew's possible diagnosis is regarding this behavior. I would like to ask some questions to get a better idea of him so that I can better assist you.
1. Has he always behaved in this manner, or did you notice a change in him as he grew up and became an adult?
2. When you say he is conceited, can you give me examples of his behavior?
3. Does he have any desire to date or socialize at all, or is he just incapable of doing so (e.g. too shy, poor social skills, etc...)?