Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have been on Prozac days. It gives me bradycardia.

Customer Question

I have been on Prozac for 5 days. It gives me bradycardia. HR in the 40's and 50's because I am also on Toprol XL for SVT. Didn't take it last night because of my low HR. Had to go to the ER today. HR up to 155. ED doc told me to get in touch with my doc to see if I should stay in them. I can't reach him. Would it be okay to stop after 5 days?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am very sorry that you are having this unfortunate interaction effect from your Prozac. Typically the Bradycardia interaction effect with Prozac is temporary and lasts for only a few weeks until your body gets used to the medication. And the low heart rate does not mean there is cardiovascular damage either. If you did want to stop the Prozac after 5 days though, you definitely can with no risk of withdrawal effects as you would have had to be on this medication for weeks for it to fully circulate in your system. Prozac does have a long half-life so it will be in your system for the next 1-2 weeks after you stop the medication, so do not be surprised if your Bradycardia lasts until then.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****Remember I only get compensated for my hard work through positive ratings, so I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a POSITIVE RATING using the smiley faces/stars. Thank you so much and it was my pleasure helping you with your issue.*****
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue? *****Remember I only get compensated for my hard work through positive ratings, so I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a POSITIVE RATING using the smiley faces/stars. Thank you so much and it was my pleasure helping you with your issue.*****