Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My son has severe insomnia and anxiety. He withdraw from

Customer Question
Hi My son has severe insomnia...
Hi
My son has severe insomnia and anxiety. He withdraw from contacting people
he is 23 and we cannot get trough him to do any changes- he is doing everyday the same
going to sleep at 3 am getting up 2 pm
he is worry about not to have enough sleep
he is taking quetiapine and trazodone
how can we take him from all these pills
he refuses any of our advise, does not have any friends-(he says he cannot be around people) he loves animals , birds particullar geese
it last already 8 years
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
7/15/2015
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am very sorry that your son is having these issues with Insomnia and Anxiety, I can understand how worried you can be for him. Unfortunately regarding his treatment, only he is capable of making the appropriate decisions to either continue on his current regimen or make some adjustments. Just like you are in control of your own actions and behaviors, he is the one in control of his own actions, so no matter what you say the final decision to adjust his treatment regimen rests solely with him.
The Trazodone and Quetiapine can be both used to treat insomnia in low doses, and if used in moderate to high doses these two medications can lessen anxiety as well, but moderate to high doses of both these medications should not be a first line treatment. I am assuming that your son is living with you, so because he is not listening to your advice currently, it would be best for you to compel him by making some ultimatums from him. You do not have to tell him to get off the medication, but you should recommend that he speak to a psychiatrist (with you there preferably) and also start to undergo psychotherapy for his anxiety issues as well. You can do this by telling him if he wants to continue living in your household than he is going to have to make these compromises with you as he cannot continue to live his life in this way. It will be hard for you to push him like this, but you know that you are doing this for the right reason and ultimately it will help your son as well. You have to push this ultimatum onto him as he is not in the right state of mind to listen to reason and your advice. No matter what though, the final decision to adjust his treatment is entirely up to him, so even if you try to push him in this manner by making an ultimatum, he is the one with final say.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****Remember I only get compensated for my hard work through positive ratings, so I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a POSITIVE RATING using the smiley faces/stars. Thank you so much and it was my pleasure helping you with your issue.*****
Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?
Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist