How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1379
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have had years of problems with our daughter who

Customer Question

Hello, we have had years of problems with our daughter who has just turned 17. she was diagnosed with 'borderline' ADHD as a young child but now and for the last few years our family has suffered greatly with her moods, emotional outbursts, behaviour, psycotic episodes. we have tried everything - doctors (my doctor believes she may be bi-polar) my husband and I have tried counselling, the police have been involved many times here and at her previous boyfriends place, she's a compulsive liar, a thief (we've had to have locks put on ours and our other daughters door) she's had many sexual partners (has no real respect for herself) has used drugs which make her 100 times worse. her personal hygiene is poor and she's always the victim - it's always somebody elses fault. we've sent her away to her fathers for 6 months with her begging to return only to have more heartache! her Nan and Pop could only stand 1 week before dropping her back home (my mum scared from her episodes) my husband and I cannot last much longer and we don't know what to do - we know something isn't right with her but she won't admit it and won't seek help - she cannot hold a job and drifts from person to person. Please help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 2 years ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am so sorry that your daughter has these very severe behavioral issues and I agree this is definitely beyond ADHD. Bipolar Disorder, Schizoaffective Disorder, and/or Borderline Personality Disorder can all be considered as possible diagnoses for some of the behavior you described. I would like to ask a few question to get a better idea of her current situation and what can actually be done for her in the future.
1. You state that she will not seek help, does this mean she is not willing to undergo any treatment or medications to help lessen these behavioral issues?
2. Has inpatient or residential treatment ever been suggested for her?
3. Have you tried to consult with an attorney to force treatment upon her, if that is an option, given her symptoms and behavioral issues?
4. Since treatment is typically voluntary, are you willing to accept the possibility that there may be nothing you can do for her if she is not willing to undergo treatment or if forced treatment is not a long-term option?